Over the last three months we have experienced an overwelming roller coaster of life's adventures.
One week after my second surgery (the "repair" surgery) Brooks developed a cold. Todd took him to the doctor, he prescribed the typical cliche dose of antibotics and sent them on their way. Brooks' lungs were clear. Fast forward one day. 24 hours.
We found ourselves on the way to the ER for the second time in Brooks' life... Only this time we'd already done the typical asthma medicine protocol regimine and Brooks still couldn't catch his breath. It was the worst feeling in the world.--For me. I can't imagine what the poor guy was feeling!! But, he was a trooper. (And thank goodness for Katie--his Nanny--who I called on the way there to tell her we were on our way. She filled his room with toys and bubbles--lots of bubbles! :) )
Unbelievably, through three continuous hours of nebulizer treatments, Brooks was still sitting still on the bed, a perfect Angel! By the end of the night, he'd take the end of the stethoscope and put it on his chest for the nurse or respitory therapist. He was fascinated with "Oscar" (my nickname for IVs when I was little, cause they'd make noise and be "grouchy") and loved his "numbers computer" (the vital stats machine above his head). He flirted with nurses and laughed out loud. But he still wheezed.
After four hours in the ER, the doctor decided to admit him to ICU (since he was still wheezing after so much medicine). However, actually getting moved took about an hour--in which time he also had a dose of steroids--so by the time he actually got to ICU, he was wide awake, bubbly, happy, and -more importantly- not wheezing. But we were already admitted. We were stuck. In ICU, with a 19-month old, at 10:00pm. Lucky for us, by some miracle, he was actually tired after all those treatments... And after about an hour of laughing and squealing, he fell asleep. Against the ER doctor's pleading for me to go home (since it was still just a week after my first surgery), I was staying. There was not a chance I was leaving my sweet man--either of them--alone.
Thankfully, Brooks slept great all night (and refuses to, since) and ended up only having to have one other treatment the entire stay (he was discharged the next afternoon). Aside from his cold and lots of congestion (nose and chest), he was fine.
Now I can honestly say I know how my parents felt those 70+ times I was in the hospital for the same reason. You do what you do, when you have to do it... You suck it up, tough it out, and move forward. One step at a time. But it sure does suck!
0 comments:
Post a Comment