I read so many different blogs that I try to come up with something creative and witty to write about. But alas, my creativity falters. I've come to the conclusion that no matter how creative you are, when it comes to writing about yourself, it's darn near impossible to be creative. Oh well.
The baby and I had a great weekend. Todd went down to Tuscaloosa to his first Alabama game and I stayed home. Friday was my day off and I basically did NOTHING. Saturday I ran a ton of errands and spent the afternoon with Dr. Eleanor Hutchens--the original English teacher at UAH. I met her about a year ago when I had lunch at Dr. Williams' [the current President of UAH] house for a luncheon for my book. Eleanor lives next door, in the old Gov. Bibb mansion [her g-g-g-g-grandfather was Gov. Bibb]. The house is incredible. It's in the heart of downtown, at the corner of Williams and Franklin Streets. We always meet in her front, formal living room, but I've seen a good portion of the lower level of the house. It's in great condition to be as old as it is--and she has impressive antiques everywhere. The livingroom back wall of the room is lined with new and OLD books. It's an English major's dream--everything from Southern American Literature to books on Huntsville. She's a hoot to talk to... very blunt and to the point, but she is absurdly smart and witty. She reminds me a lot of Granny Ease (my great grandmother on Mom's side) and is almost as old--she'll be 90 next month. She makes me want to strive to be smarter (or at least sound as though I am). I love picking her brain for history facts. She could write a killer book on Huntsville history!
Anyhoo--after spending a handful of days with her at different times (I even took Mom to meet her last summer), I've had many a random conversation with her. This time, I wanted her opinion on how to talk to Alice (my trip to Monroeville is Friday). In all the talks I've had with her, never have I seen her so energetic as she was discussing Harper and Alice Lee. She was honestly as impressed (and shocked) as I that Alice had even agreed to meet. "Those women are border-line recluse!" she quipped. Uh huh. Then she proceeded to give me ideas of things to talk about. "Many people would kill to be in your shoes." That was quite an honor coming from a 90-year old English teacher. "Stay in control of the conversation." Gosh, I can only hope so! When I left, I promised to return to tell her all about my adventure. She smiled and said, "Oh, please let me be the first person you tell, after your immediate family, of course! After a while, you'll get tired of telling the story." Man, I only hope there is something to tell! :) She also asked me to tell Alice that she "admires her for working this long--but doesn't envy her for a moment!"
What kills me is this 90 year old woman LOVES the Internet and email! When I got to work yesterday morning, I had an email from her (I guess she'd been stirring over additional conversation topics):
Kellie, you're a wonderful listener. I think the lunch date will go well.
I've been trying to think of topics you might introduce. I think I've seen something about the courthouse there recently. Whether it's an old one or not, you can take note of it and tell her that our old one fell victim to Urban Renewal in the 1960's. Then you can ask her how she likes hers for the purposes of practicing law. Another topic is the book you're writing.
She might be interested in the melding of town & gown here, the mutual helpfulness and general advantage. I'll let you know if anything else occurs to me. Don't hesitate to talk about your own work, both the book and your new job.
Thank you so much for the cupcakes.
ENH
I leave Friday morning at 6:30 for South Alabama. I wish it was tomorrow!
On the baby front, I'm OFFICIALLY in the 2nd Trimester. My back and hips hurt, but nothing that is absolutely unbearable. Although, I have to admit, the back will catch me sometimes and take my breath. I guess it's to be expected. Doctor next week on the 23rd!
I forgot to mention in my last post, we're set to close (again) on the new house on the 30th. Keep your fingers crossed (and say a few prayers) that all goes well and we actually close this time! :-]
0 comments:
Post a Comment